Learn more about the Power to the People Initiative:
Missouri's New Renewable Energy Standard
Creating jobs that can't be exported.
- Increasing Missouri's use of renewable energy will help create Missouri jobs, manufacturing, installing and maintaining clean energy projects, particularly in rural Missouri.
- This initiative will help us fundamentally change how we get our energy. Missouri spends $1.3 billion each year to purchase coal from Wyoming. Investing this money in Missouri based clean renewable energy projects, including installation of solar panels and wind turbines, will boost our local economy.
Lowering costs through competition and choice.
- Expanding our energy options by producing more renewables, like wind and solar, will create more competition and choices, diversify our energy supply, protect against price spikes and lower future energy costs.
- Capping costs at $3 per month per household to all Missouri electric consumers is an effective way to secure our local energy supply, grow Missouri's economy and keep electric rates low.
Protecting rate payers, fighting against rate increases.
- The state's consumer advocate office is drastically underfunded in their efforts to lower consumers' utility bills, even though they have consistently saved rate payers money on their bills every time utilities ask for a rate increase.
- The RES establishes adequate funding for the rate payer advocates office who will save rate payers millions more every time the utilities ask for a rate increase and also ensure Missouri makes it to 25% of renewable energy by 2025.
Saving lives through healthier air and water.
- Besides the huge economic benefits, producing renewable energy right here in Missouri will also reduce asthma and lung disease, give Missouri cleaner, healthier air and water and save lives.